On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:21:23 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 06/08/2011 06:32 AM, Camaleón wrote: [snip]
>>
>> I use alcohol to clean the ball and internal rollers. But I'm afraid
>> laser based mice get also dirty (bottom surface has also to be cleaned
>> for fast sliding).
>
> Once a year.  Maybe.

Me also... that's more or less the time it takes the ball to be plenty of
fluff and to be uncomfortable enough to use. One can live with some dust
on it... until you can't move it O:-P

>>                     But as I said on my previous post to Ron, I can
>>                     live
>> with them. What happens is that modern mice are a bit "ostentatious"
>> and full of buttons (or they're targeted to notebook users and are a
>> bit small).
>
> Not the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse.  It's just... a plain old, boring
> standard sized mouse.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Basic-Optical-Mouse-Black/dp/B00081N53K

Logitech has also a bunch of plain mice corded and laser based but...
they don't look like my fatty balled mouse :-)

Look, do you see the difference? The old model is slightly curved on the top
while the modern one is straight:

MS Basic Optical Mouse (laser)
http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/SkuImages/gallery/large/M17-1733-d1.jpg

MS IntelliMouse (ball)
http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/SkuImages/gallery/large/M17-1716-f.jpg

Anyway, what's the minimum desirable dpi for these devices? I've seen
numbers from 300ppp up to 2.000ppp and more... besides, is there any
noticeable difference between one tagged as "optical" and other tagged as
"optical/laser"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón