[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
>> Sorry, forgot one other point.  Another potential issue I see is that
>> if mailfilter causes the messages to be marked as seen, fetchmail may
>> not retrieve them in at least some modes.
>
> I am confused. Does mailfilter only do a regex on the header?
> If so, I will be less useful that I thought.
> -K

I don't use mailfilter so I cant speak for it, but I can speak for the
ideas that started this thread and others related to POP3 filtering:

"How to not download so much junk from my POP3 account because it's full
of spam, and most pointedly Swen"

If your goal is to limit bandwidth, you use a program that only downloads
the headers and makes decisions on what to drop based on that like
mailfilter. You are right if you're "less usefull" thought is based on "it
can't possibly be as accurate as scanning the whole message", because you
are only looking at headers.

If you want to be more accurate at the cost of more downloading, download
everything and pipe it into your local mail transport agent or mail
filters.

In either case the spam has already hit your inbox on your isp, and in
either case you're downloading some bit of data to make decisions on. The
question is, how much. Both solutions are usefull to different people.

For brief moments I think that having dict analyze subject line could be a
good enough spam filter* but then I quickly remember my typos.

*(Buy our junK and s*k*i*p the d0ctor asx asdf jsadf) :P

--
Jacob
Trying out SquirrelMail