On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 21:11 +0100, Pedro Rodrigues wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've just installed the Nvidia drivers on my Debian, however, after i
> do it, the laptop brightness control doesn't work anymore...
>
> When i press the keys, i see the brightness bar, however, the
> brightness stays at maximum.
>
> I've used the following commands to install the drivers.
>
>         apt-get update
>         apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source
>         m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source
>         apt-get install nvidia-glx
>         apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
>         nvidia-xconfig
>         apt-get install nvidia-settings
>
> The Laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-FE21B with a Nvidia Geforce 7400
>
> Can you help me?
>
> thx in advance.

I used current proprietary Nvidia driver with Ubuntu, on Debian I'm
using the FLOSS nv driver. After startup the menu of my CTR monitor
didn't work. When I turned the monitor off and on again, the monitor's
menu and settings could be used. I don't know if it's possible to do
something similar as turning off/on a monitor, for a display for the
laptop, but it seems to be the same issue, the proprietary driver seems
to disable something.