Hi, answers inline.

>12/06/2011 00:12, H.S. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have experienced this problem on and off for the past several months.
> But today it was the worst case. I am trying to burn a bunch of mp3
> files to make an audio CD using k3b. I was able to so do for the first
> one after burning only a single coaster. The second one is still not
> done and I already have wasted 5 discs in the process.

[trim]
> The permissions for my optical drive are:
> $ ls -l /dev/dvd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 11 16:36 /dev/dvd -> sr0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 11 16:36 /dev/dvdrw -> sr0
> $ ls -al /dev/sr0
> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jun 11 16:36 /dev/sr0
>
> and do belong to 'cdrom' group.
>
> Thanks.

Look into the "configuration" k3b menu, "set system permissions", make
sure there isn't a funny group attributed to the burning task.

> PS:
> The error that k3b gives me is the following:
[trim]
> System
> -----------------------
> K3b Version: 2.0.2
> KDE Version: 4.6.3 (4.6.3)
> QT Version:  4.7.3
> Kernel:      2.6.38-2-amd64

Given your kde version you don't need hal at all, purge it, it's a
plague anyway. Just make sure you don't have any Gnome or whatever
programs which needs it (hwinfo still needs it I think, maybe others).

> Used versions
> -----------------------
> cdrecord: 1.1.11
>
> cdrecord
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise
> RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.

This my be a hint...

[trim]
> Sending CUE sheet...
> Errno: 5 (Input/output error), write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  2A 00 FF FF FE 52 00 01 18 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 72 0B 00 00 00 00 00 0E 09 0C 00 34 00 03 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x0 No Additional Sense, Segment 11
> Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x03 (setmark detected) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 148.975s timeout 200s
> /usr/bin/wodim: Could not write Lead-in.
> Errno: 5 (Input/output error), prevent/allow medium removal scsi
> sendcmd: fatal error
> CDB:  1E 00 00 00 00 00
> cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 200s
> SAO startsec: -12508
> Writing lead-in...
> write CD-Text data: error after 1159488 bytes
> Writing  time:  169.988s
> /usr/bin/wodim: fifo had 191 puts and 0 gets.
> /usr/bin/wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

This isn't very specific, it could be another program poling and holding
the drive, did you try "lsof" or "fuser" the device node to see if
something is using it ? I also got this kind of errors with permissions
problems, but yours look good.