On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 00:35, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:37:28 -0500, Noah Duffy wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Is it recommended to install packages from testing?  I know this often
>> also updates dependencies that other software may use causing the system
>> to potentially not be as secure or stable.
>
> I'd say that would depend on the package you want to upgrade.
>
> Look, Banshee for squeeze depends on libc6 >= 2.7 but in wheezy needs >=
> 2.13. Will you update your libc6? I, for sure, wouldn't :-)

An alternative is to add a deb-src line for wheezy or sid, whichever
you want, to sources.list and attempt a "simple sid backport" with
apt-get source -b.  This will download the updated source and compile
it on your system, using the libc6 you currently have unless it
build-depends on a new libc6.  Of course make sure you have
build-essentials and the like installed.  There's also a simple
backporting tutorial on the debian user forums here: