On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:45:01 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.producti...@gmail.com> Date:  Thu, 16
Jun
> 2011 19:52:12 +1000

(...)

>>  You *did* change the restrictions in Iceweasel (about:config) didn't
>>  you?
>
> That's where I started about 5 days ago.  In about:config,
> security.checkloaduri appears to be changeable but the change doesn't
> stick and has no effect. According to the mailing lists, that appears to
> be intentional.  So then I tried editing
> /etc/iceweasel/pref/iceweasel.js as "docuemented" in Mozilla Security
> Policy.  Even when the configuration is set, about:config
> security.checkloaduri is true.  Either my configuration is wrong or
> Iceweasel doesn't implement this as Mozillazine describes. This is the
> pertinent content of iceweasel.js. // Allow my file URI to be opened.
> user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "localfilelinks");
> user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.checkloaduri.enabled",
> "allAccess"); user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites",
> "http://members.shaw.ca/"; "file://142.103.107.137/" );

Err... Peter, have you considered using the suggested¹ extension?

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/281

I have tested and it works with the sample links of your site (at least
within Firefox 5.0 beta). Well, it says "file not found", of course, but
it opens the link, the error is because the file cannot be found in my
system.

It is very easy to use: once installed, you have to right-click on the
desired link ("file:///home/user/file") to open the context menu and then
open the uri in a new tab or new window. And the URI will open.

Then, consider opening a bug at Firefox bugzilla for the things that you
have already tried and did not work "as expected" :-)

¹http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_don%27t_work#Disabling_the_Security_Check

Greetings,

--
Camaleón