on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 02:42:37AM -0500, Ron Johnson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 00:26, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:09:50PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> > wrote:
> > > On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 09:19:32AM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> [snip]
> > If Swen is the shape of things to come, it's the end of dial-up POP3
> > mail accounts.
>
> What's going to happen (nay, *is* happening) is that ISPs are starting
> to offer spam & virus filtering.

I've specifically requested this backed by threat of legal action for
perpetrating, assisting, or aiding a DoS on my computer services.

My ISP *does* offer spamfiltering.  It's a fucking joke.  Specifically,
it's an industrywide joke.  The system is largely ineffective, dosn't
provide a viable means of assessing what was or wasn't filtered, to the
best of my knowledge doesn't provide SMTP-time reject messages, and
doesn't provide a viable means of training the systme with false
positives or negatives.

The system was revamped this past year.  It is now based on a
challenge-response system.  This is as bad as the problem, particularly
in light of spoofed senders (C-R is a DDoS attack technology).  See:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/challenge-response.html

I've made a specific proposal that effective virus protection be
offered.   Partial exerpt:

        [Earthlink should offer viral mail filtering] a two-tiered basis:
        basic filtering (no executable content) with a concomittent risk of
        false positives, of all executable content, free of charge.
        Advanced filtering, using a specific virus filtering tool (or
        selection of tools), such as major proprietary offerings (Norton,
        RAV, McAfee, etc.) or free software tools such as clamav, as a
        premium, for-fee service.

    Implementation should follow these guidelines:

      - The service should be prominantly featured in Earthlink
        communications, including bulling notifications, website, and a
        possible special subscriber notification mailing.  Press
        releases and news coverage of the service should also be
        encouraged.

      - The service should be discretionary.  A subscriber should be
        able to elect to use, or not use, the service.

      - Though I generally don't recommend this for content-blocking
        features:  the basic service should be enabled by default on new
        accounts.  It should *not* be retroactively applied to existing
        accounts.

      - The service should be active at SMTP connect time, and should
        return a permanent nondelivery error to the remote SMTP server.
        The remote server is responsible for any notification to the
        originating sender.  The service should *not* generate its own
        bounce or nondelivery mail based on headers or envelope sender,
        any or all of which may be forged, presenting a Joe-job DDoS
        risk.

      - The service should provide a regular (weekly or monthly) summary
        to the user of blocked mail.  For the basic service, this might
        be restricted to a count of accepted and rejected mails.  For
        the premium service (as a revenue generating incentive),
        abstract or detail in the form of connecting remote hosts, and
        possibly subject line or description of blocked content by type
        or risk (e.g.:  the [EMAIL PROTECTED] virus) could be included.

There's room for a premium service.  There is a _requirement_, however,
for a reasonably effective minimum service.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    Ford had another Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the drink which has