2011/6/24 lee <l...@yun.yagibdah.de>

> Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.more...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
> create/write
> > filenames containing accented chars, especially when copying music from
> my
> > amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of brazilian, french and
> > italian music has plenty of accented chars in filenames).
>
> It's a very bad idea to use special characters (or spaces) in file
> names. You can get it to work, and it may cause trouble when your locale
> settings change or when you try to use the files on other
> computers. You're already experiencing such trouble, so why make it
> difficult?

well, I never use whitespaces and accented chars when working on linux,
but... when your music collection it's about 32.027 tracks (I am a guitar
player and music lover) it's difficult to get rid of accented chars :-)
(should I drop baden powell? joao gilberto?...)

BTW replacing accented chars using some one-line program could do you more
harm than ever

-r