On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:32:19 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.producti...@gmail.com> wrote:

I do exactly what you say, generally.  I forgot to recomment the stupid line
last time I pulled in a multimedia package.

> Anyway - the problem is a little fiddly by easily fixed.
>
> If it was me I'd:-
> comment out anything that is not a "standard" squeeze repository in

or wheezy ?

> /etc/apt/sources.list
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get -sf install | more
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 42 not upgraded.

> then depending on the output of the last command:-
> # apt-get -s remove vlc | more
> if nothing core/critical is about to be removed:-
> # apt-get remove vlc
> you might get an "autoremove" message - if it showed nothing
> core/critical then:-
> # apt-get autoremove
> then:-
> # apt-get -s install vlc | more

 vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
       Depends: libavcodec52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but 4:0.5.2-6 is to be installed or
                libavcodec-extra-52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but it is not installable
       Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be
installed
       Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be
installed
E: Broken packages

So I think I'm back where I started.

So it's not possible that vlc on wheezy is busted ?

Brian