On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:47:40 +0100, Horace Dynamite wrote:

> On 22 July 2011 18:27, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I installed the Debian system using this optical drive, so I think
>>> this proves that my optical drive and IDE cable are working properly,
>>> for, it was only three days ago that I installed Debian. Is that true?
>>
>> Well, the unit can be in its finals days and the fact you could install
>> from it with no apparent/visible errors is not a proof of its health...
>> BTW, how old is it?
>
> 2 years old. I've just booted into a Ubuntu Live CD, which I believe
> implies the electronics are working.

As you already checked, your optical reader can be working but giving
errors, this is not a 0/1 device that works or does not work at all. It
can be dying slowly.

>> Then you can re-sit the current one, just in case it has been slightly
>> moved or became loose.
>
> I took it out, re-sat, booted the LiveCD again, it worked. Yet I still
> get these hardware errors.

Then the problem can be within the IDE port of the board or the cable.
Changing the cable would be the most suitable step.

Another possible culprits?

- Software problem (i.e., the kernel)
You can discard this by loading a LiveCD of another distribution with a
differenet kernel and checking dmesg for any error

- Power supply
Yes, this can be another source for the problem but a faulty power supply
would affect another components, like hard disk and only the optical unit
looks like the only one having errors.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón