shawn wilson wrote:
> Ummm, earlier printers than that didn't have moveable heads like that. There
> was this printer that used a chain with a few sets of letters and 80
> hammers. When the right letter moved under the proper hammer, it fired (and
> if you asked it to print a row with letters in the 'right' order, the chain
> would snap). Point being, a 'head' didn't move to create a space, so that
> logic is flawed.

It is hard to argue about the old IBM 1403, a classic line printer.
But just the same those types of chain impact printers were pretty
expensive and weren't everywhere.  My memory is vague on the causality
of each since they were created before I was born.  :-) But I did
routinely use them at the university data center while programming on
the Honeywell and Harris machines using the qed editor on printing
tractor feed paper terminals.  The annoying back and forth head
movement of those is what motivated me to learn to type quickly so
that I could get the next letter onto the paper before the head
retracted, making the just printed character visible.  You see the
timing of the head motion was really quite annoying and if you typed a
little slow then it would bang back and forth and the feedback to the
brain was killer.  But if you could type the next character before the
head retracted then it wasn't so bad.

> I also don't think space is printable but whatever.

  "I and the world happened to have a slight difference of opinion.
  The world said I was mad, and I said the world was mad.  I was
  outvoted, and here I am." -- Richard Brothers

:-)

Bob