Since no-one replied yet...

I don't have an answer, only ideas.

IIRC, scripts in only one of the rc?.d are executed on startup. Which one depend on the requested runlevel, default value being specified in /etc/inittab.

Looking at my cryptdisks and cryptdisks-early scripts, they appear to be almost identical, both using code in /lib/cryptsetup/cryptdisks.functions I haven't found a way to specify whether a disk is an early one or not. The only difference seems to be that when in "early" mode, failures aren't reported.

Not sure how versed you are in script programming, but my take at debugging this would be to add more traces in cryptdisks.functions file, especially in the handle_crypttab_line_start funtion, that is called for each line in crypttab during startup. I'd be adding lines to check
- whether /var is mounted
- whether /dev/urandom can be accesses
- function error codes

Good luck. I'm looking forward reading your explanation on what the issue was.