 > We have an RSA key with no encryption password, and we need to generate
 > a CSR using this key.  However, when I try to generate a CSR, I get an
 > error:

 > # openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
 > Enter pass phrase for server.key:

        I guess that openssl(1) somehow doesn't recognize the format of
        the key file, thus thinking that it may be encrypted.

        While I don't know what may cause this behavior, I'd try to use
        GnuTLS' certtool(1) to generate the request, in the hope that
        it's unlikely that both OpenSSL and GnuTLS would've been broken
        in the same way.

$ openssl --generate-request --load-privkey=server.key --outfile=server.csr

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257