I've just realised that this does not happen on all JPG files. Only
some.

There are two common characteristics about the pictures that fail:
a) they are about 2,6MB size
b) they were all taken on the same camera

:P

More incredible is that Nautilus is able to show previews for all of
them...

well... nevermind. I have GIMP :)

cheers
Joao