[…]

 > The horrible performance with bs=512 is likely due to the LVM block
 > size being 4096, and forcing block writes that are 1/8th normal size,
 > causing lots of merging.  If you divide 120MB/s by 8 you get 15MB/s,
 > which IIRC from your original post, is approximately the write
 > performance you were seeing, which was 19MB/s.

        I'm not an expert in that matter either, but I don't seem to
        recall that LVM uses any “blocks”, other than, of course, the
        LVM “extents.”

        What's more important in my opinion is that 4096 is exactly the
        platform's page size.

--cut: vgcreate(8) --
       -s, --physicalextentsize PhysicalExtentSize[kKmMgGtT]
              Sets the physical extent size on physical volumes of this volume
              group.  A size suffix (k for kilobytes up to t for terabytes) is
              optional, megabytes is the default if no suffix is present.  The
              default is 4 MB and it must be at least 1 KB and a power of 2.
--cut: vgcreate(8) --

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257