 > I created a LV and was going to use the following command to create a
 > file system:

 > mkfs.ext4 /dev/vg/lv

 > someone suggested I use:

 > mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-lv

 > What's the difference?

        There should be none.

        Note, however, that /dev/mapper/ may contain non-LVM specials as
        well, such as cryptsetup(8) ones.

        My guess is that /dev/VG/LV may provide some sort of backwards
        compatibility, as LVM may have been implemented before Linux's
        “device mapper.”  (IIRC, there was an LVM implementation for
        HP-UX, bearing some similarity to the one currently in Linux.)

--
FSF associate member #7257      Coming soon: Software Freedom Day