Also Sprach Steve Lamb
>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:48:22 -0700 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> - Justify text and respect any ">" quote marks.  ^J in Nano.
>> operates on a paragraph (command "gq}", but mapped to ^J)

>    First off, make sure you're in mail mode.  That'll let vim know
>what format to expect.

set comments=n:>,n:\|

>> - Paste in text with options:
>>     - wrap/no wrap (sometimes pasting URLs or code that should not wrap)

>':set nowrap' before pasting.

I usually just let it wrap then use J to join lines.

>>     - indent pasted text

set autoindent

Then I usually will paste the text, then manual indent the first line then
rejustify the text.

>>     - paste in with "> " quote marks.

>    Not sure on that one.  Though you could paste, select with V and then
>:s/\(.*\)/> \1/g

set comments as above gets you most of the way there.

>> Plus, I'm looking for those features you feel you can't live without
>> when working with email.  Basically, additional tips for getting the most
>> from Vim as my email editor.

>    Mail mode with syntax highlighting turned on and vimspell are all
>that I need.  My needs seem to vary as I rarely, if ever, paste quoted
>material into the body of the message or paste material that needs to
>be indented.

syntax highlighting is great, "syntax on" turns it on.  I typically wrap
it like:

if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
  syntax on
endif

This turns syntax highlighting on only if the terminal supports more
than 2 colors, or if its running the gui version (ie, gvim)
--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous