On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Scott Ferguson <
prettyfly.producti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/08/11 21:02, Bruno Martins wrote:
>
>> Hello guys.
>>
>> Is there any way to avoid this? Imagine that I simply want to remove the
>> evolution package.
>>
>> root@sputnik:/home/joe# apt-get remove evolution
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree������
>> Reading state information... Done
>> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
>> required:
>>

> <snipped>
>

>  sound-juicer libmusicbrainz3-6
>> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
>>

> Don't worry about the autoremove stuff (unless you actually want to remove
> those packages - they'll still function)
>

>  The following packages will be REMOVED:
>> � evolution evolution-exchange gnome gnome-accessibility gnome-core
>> gnome-desktop-environment
>>

> gnome is a meta package that pulls in evolution - which is why removing
> evolution removes gnome(meta-gnome-2).
>
> I'd go ahead with the removal - but I'd log out of the desktop first and
> use a console login from gdm as root.
>
> I'm assuming that your original packages are still in
> /var/cache/apt/archives
>
> After:-
> # apt-get remove evolution
> # apt-get -s install gnome-desktop-environment | less
> and make sure gnome-core is going to be installed - add in
> gnome-accessibility if you want. If everything looks ok and evolution is not
> being reinstalled remove the -s and run the install. You might want to add
> your desired mua to the start of the list of packages being installed
> (before gnome-desktop-environment).
>
> Also consider:-
> # apt-get -s remove evolution > /root/remove_evolution
> so that you've got a reference in case you have problems building your
> custom gnome.
> This will show you dependencies and suggested packages:-
> http://packages.debian.org/**squeeze/gnome<http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gnome>
>
> <snipped>
>

>> This doesn't happen on Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu,
>> neither in Fedora.
>>

> apropos of what? (and you are mistaken about Ubuntu)
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Bruno Martins
>>

> Cheers
>
> --
> "The definition of black irony is Pro-lifers killing Doctors who do
> abortions"
> — Bill Hicks
>

> --
> Archive:
> http://lists.debian.org/**4e5e220d.4070...@gmail.com<http://lists.debian.org/4e5e220d.4070...@gmail.com>

Hello mate.

Thanks for your quick response.

So, to avoid this dependency "problems" in the future, I should make a clean
installation of Debian, without GNOME, and then install the GNOME packages,
like 'gnome-desktop-environment', etc?

This should make it easier to install only what's needed.

Best regards,

Bruno Martins