What is the Windoof? (==Windows?)

I can't touch the remote windows server,
I even don't know which room it stays.
only provided by the right to access and the hostname.
I contacted the administrator today and being informed the following
information:
"There is nothing wrong with Server. I’ve just checked. I presume you are
using the rdesktop?
The rDesktop application  you are using is somehow unable to use the latest
RDP protocol 6 and is recommended for best experience and hence it failed.
MS has done quite a bit of changes to the protocol and the client
application has not caught up for linux.
"

Actually it worked on and off, so I don't think it's the protocol issue.
Sometimes if I was lucky I could connect, sometimes not.

> There's no reported bugs of that nature for grdesktop.
>
> Possible causes:-
> ;Problem with the Windoof machine (firewall settings, permissions, rdp
> session invite expired, ip address)
> ;Problem with resolving the Windoof hostname to an IP address
> ;Problem with the rdesktop or grdesktop packages
>
> Check the Windoof machine if you can - if access was via an "invite",
> generate a fresh invite, if possible reboot Windoof.
>
> If you don't know the Windoof machine IP address try using ping (as root in
> a terminal window) to convert the Windoof hostname into a ip address)

I got the same IP address not matter as root or user during ping hostname.

Try connecting with grdesktop using the ip address instead of the hostname.
> If the Windoof machine is not on the same sub-net this won't necessarily
> work.

It has the same problem when used the IP address.
There is also some other distracting warnings here I did not post before,
such as:
WARNING: initializing sound-support failed!
WARNING: Remote desktop does not support colour depth 24; falling back to 16
NOT IMPLEMENTED: system pointer message0x7f00
WARNING: server sent an unexpectedly long string, truncating
WARNING: rdp_in_unistr: iconv fail, errno 84

Please ignore those warnings, cause I donot need sound and colour depth and
else.

> Post your results - if you are still having problems we can use rdesktop to
> pinpoint the problem.
> Also (I should have asked earlier) is the Windoof machine on the same
> sub-net?

I guess so, probably on the same sub-net. but I don't know how to check.

> If it's not - is it behind a stand-alone firewall/router?

I am not so sure.

> Are you enabling encryption?
>

> Hope you're not in a hurry (other's can assist) - I'll be back in the
> morning.

Thanks,