On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2wo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12 September 2011 05:19, Doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09/11/2011 11:23 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 07:58:30 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>>
>>>  I've noticed since joining this list a number of weeks back that it is
>>>>
>>> Yup, the more mailing lists you subscribe, the more chances to get your
>>> inbox full of spam :-)
>>>
>>>  Are we somehow more susceptible or less secure from spam than other
>>>>
>>> I'd say we are the same as in any other open mailing list. Or even we are
>>> less susceptible because Debian mailing lists lack for an archive (plain
>>> text based mbox file).
>>>
>>>  It's a minor annoyance, but really, on an OS discussion list?

>>> I use a dedicated e-mail for posting in mailing lists so I keep my main
>>> inbox off of spam messages. True is that Gmail handles this reasonably
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>>  I agree with the OP.  I subscribe to at least 5 lists, and the Debian
>> list
>> is the only one that consistently has all kinds of spam, not only in
>> English,
>> but in various foreign languages, some of them in strange scripts!  Many
>> of
>> these appear to come from some travel agency, altho I have to guess, not
>> being
>> fluent in Hungarian, etc.  But I think the situation has improved somewhat
>> over
>> the past 6 months or so.
>>

> And I'm afraid I agree with Cam.
> This list is administered efficiently and *some* spam gets through
> occasionally.
> Considering the volume of the list, it amazes me how little gets through.
> Something to consider - about half the OS distros out there are based on
> Debian and half their list members are on the Debian list also. It's a BIG
> list.
>
> 1 or 2 spam messages a day on Debian-User is something it would take a
> miracle to rectify and, as has been noted, only a minor annoyance. Very
> minor.
> Configure your own spam filters as well, and the occurrence is less than
> trivial.
> Regards,
>
> Weaver.

I'm in the boat with Camaleon and Weaver, I'm on a dozen or more mailing
lists, all open-source related and I get maybe 5 e-mail messages a *month*

freebsd-{ports,chat,current,gnome,questions,security}
debian-users
gentoo-users

are the most active lists I am on, then a handful of independent projects
have me on their mailing lists too, most with moderate traffic on it. It
could be that you specifically have been targeted or possibly your ISP,
based on an IP Block...