Hi,

Redhat has somehow managed to allow any user to shut the computer down
from the GNome logout menu. Usually, that only appears in case you're
running GNome2 as root - hence it almost never happens.

I have tried everything to get that enhanced logout menu in Debian
unstable / GNome2.x but I haven't found a way. IIRC there has been an
argument about this issue on this mailing list that basically stated
that this is not possible in Debian.
However you have two ways to achieve that shutdown for every user in
some way:

- Use KDE3 & KDM - that'll allow you to shutdown the computer from said
logout menu
- Configure GDM so users can shut down the computer from there.

You can also set SUID on shutdown and add a Launcher to your Panel or
Desktop in GNome.

Maritn