On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

> On 9/21/2011 10:43 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>  ...in my case, was
>>
>> flooding the "/var/log/syslog" file. Then it's too late and your system
>> may become unstable and slow meaning that you are royaly hosed :-)
>>

> Which is why every old school Unix guru (and younger smart ones as well)
> will tell you to put /var on a separate filesystem (partition), and better
> yet on a separate physical device.  The first protects against a single full
> filesystem taking the system down.  The second does the same and also makes
> sure all log related disk bandwidth is on a separate spindle, thus avoiding
> the performance degradation when a runaway process spams the log file with
> dozens or hundreds of IOs per second. Note that 7.2k SATA drives can only
> tackle about 150 IOPS.  5.2k laptop drives about 100.

There was a geek in our lab long time ago, the partition was inherited from
him.
Before I did not understand. Later gradually started to know something, but
seems too late.

> Even low end SSD can do 2500 IOPS, 15x that of a 7.2k drive.  And most SSDs
> are small.  So if you have an SSD in this runaway logging scenario you could
> potentially fill the log filesystem in a matter of minutes.
>
> Moral of the story:  Keep /var/log on a separate filesystem for laptops and
> desktops.  Keep it on a separate physical device on servers.  With a RAID
> setup, a separate partition on the LUN/virtual disk serves the same purpose.
>  Unrelated to this particular problem, but valuable knowledge nonetheless,
> is to have a boot partition separate from the / partition as well.

What's the recommended reserved size for the /var/log partition. I can
jotted down and take reference in future.

> Ease of use and "Linux on every desktop" proponents evangelize using a
> single partition/filesystem, which is the default Microsoft setup BTW, so
> it's simpler for the non technical user, though inherently less safe.  Those
> who have used *nix for a while, especially server administrators, who have
> seen problems like this first hand, evangelize separate
> partitions/filesystems for reliability, resiliency, and recovery.
>
> The former crowd goes for a "2 hour" afternoon hike in the desert and takes
> no supplies, only a digital camera, an iPhone, and a small water bottle.
>  It's only a 2 hour hike right?
>
> The latter takes a backpack containing a gallon of water, a first aid kit
> including anti venom for treating rattlesnake bites, sun block, burn spray,
> an MRE, 2 flashlights with spare batteries, a tool kit, a shovel, a wind
> proof butane lighter, a pup tent, sleeping bag, blankets, cell phone and CB
> radio with extra batteries, and a rain coat.
>
> An hour into his hike, the former takes a rattler bite to the ankle, falls
> 20 feet off the rock he's climbing and brakes his right femur. This
> particular bite is not by itself life threatening.  With no signal on his
> iPhone he's unable to call or text for help.  He's immobile and can't walk
> out.  He decides to lie and wait for the next hiker to come by, not knowing
> when that will be.  He drinks all his meager water supply, baking in the
> afternoon sun.  A storm rolls in just before night fall, the temperature
> dropping to 40F, dropping a short but massive rain fall.  Huddled between
> the boulders he shivers all night from the wet and cold, in shorts and a
> t-shirt.  Before dawn he expires due to a combination of venom, dehydration,
> hypothermia, and shock.
>
> A month later the latter hikes out and back without issue, in two hours.
>  Had the former packed and prepared like the latter, he'd be alive today, at
> worst maybe with a slight limp.

Reading the above three sentences I needed look up dictionaries. Finally
got, seems a story, or an analogue.