On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:06:53 +0800, Long Wind wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running several boxes with lenny (gui and non-gui based
>> installations) and lenny is rock solid as the first day :-)
>>
>> I would investigate why your system stops responding, maybe you can
>> start to find out by stablishing a session via ssh and see if that
>> still works.
>>
> the problem doesn't always arise
> I suspect hard disk is failing

Then you can run "smartclt" (long test mode) to find out any problem with
your hard disks.

> If I can connect by ssh and shutdown lenny then, the cause of the
> problem comes from where?

If you can connect and manage the server from a remote machine that may
indicate an isolated problem not a system wide one:

1/ If you are running X server, that can mean xorg is freezed and so the
keyboard refuses to respond.

2/ If no X server running, that could mean you have a problem with the
keyboard or the port it is attached to (PS/2 or USB), try with another
one.

3/ In addition, you can check the logs when the system freezes to gather
furher information of the hang, run "top" to scan for any application
consuming several resources, etc...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón