--- "David Palmer." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> O.K., I'm trying to get on top of a few things here,
> and am struggling
> to find directions that make sense.
> It's got to the point where I have actually got to
> the point of starting
> off a series of posts at an open source forum to
> help out other newbies
> like myself.
> But even though I am able to find documentation that
> will teach me the
> basics of bash, I've looked all over the web for a
> simple tutorial to
> explain step by step procedure for download and
> install of a basic
> application.
> 'Start the installation procedure', was the last
> reference I copped,
> without the faintest thread of logical explanation
> about how one should
> go about doing that.
> I've downloaded the Gnupg application. I know it's
> there because after
> the end of the download the location is stated as
> '/home/username/.opera/download', so at a prompt
> I'll type:-
> 'cd /home/username/.opera/download'
> and I get echoed back to me:- ~/.opera/download$
> to check I type:- pwd
> and get :-/.opera/download
> echoed back again. So it's definitely there. But how
> do I get to it,
> install, and activate it?
> What is the procedure now?
> So the only other avenue that I haven't tried is a
> book.
> On the Debian site there is a list. Would anybody
> who has read any of
> these be good enough to recommend one that attempts
> to communicate?
> The Linux Cookbook.
> DebianGNU/Linux Bible.
> Learning Debian GNU/Linux.
> Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation & Usage.
> I should appreciate any response.
> Regards,
>
> David.

I'm a quasi newbie to Debian also.  I would reccommend
that you learn all about apt-get.  This is a Really
Powerful Tool.  To find if there is a Debian program
of what you want to install do either a dselect update
or a apt-get update.  Then you can do a apt-cache
search <program name> and that will show you all of
the programs with that name in them.  To find out what
the program does you can do a apt-cache show <program
name> and that will give you a description of the
program.  After you find the program that you want to
install do a apt-get install <program name> and that
should install the program and the required
dependencies if any are required.
HTH
Don