On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 03:42:24 -0400 (EDT), Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> Isn't [1] the proper way to build Debian kernels?
>
> [1] http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

That depends on your definition of "proper".  The kernel handbook,
not surprisingly, is maintained by the Debian kernel team.  The
Debian kernel team is responsible for producing the official Debian
stock binary kernels as well as making any Debian customization to
the pristine kernel sources that they deem necessary or desirable.
If your definition of "proper" means the way the kernel team
currently recommends, then yes.  However, with apologies to cat
lovers, there's an old American saying: "There's more than one way
to skin a cat."  The method documented on my web page is the
historic method, and was also the method used by the Debian kernel
team to create official Debian stock kernel images up through and
including Sarge.  The kernel team departed from the historic method
of producing stock kernels with Etch, it seems.

As I said in an earlier post, I still prefer the historic method because
I find it more flexible.  For example, when using "make deb-pkg",
three binary packages are produced: a linux-image-* package, a
linux-headers-* package, and a linux-libc6-dev package.  In most
cases, I only need and want the linux-image-* package.  With "make
deb-pkg", it doesn't appear that there is any way to suppress the
creation of the unneeded packages.  With make-kpkg, I only get the
packages that I ask for.

Another benefit of the historic method is that header packages are
rarely needed.  If the entire kernel source tree is already installed,
header packages should not be needed, since the kernel headers are
included as part of the kernel source.  The historic method of creating
kernel module binary packages takes advantage of this fact and therefore
does not require a separate headers package.  The new way of creating
kernel modules requires a headers package, even if the entire kernel
source tree is already installed.  This is all explained in my web page,
which, for reference, is

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

But, to each his own.  Whatever floats your boat, man.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :