On 25/09/11 13:40, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> I purchased a Bible concordance program for the i386, and received the
> program on a set of DVDs.  The problem is that I need to install the
> program on a laptop which has no optical drive, but only USB ports.
>
> So it appears to me that I need to find:
>
>     (1) a procedure for creating a set of DVD images (using a desktop
>     machine with a DVD optical drive), and

dd is the CLI procedure.
eg.:-
Find out where CD/DVD mounts and device name by inserting CD

root@work:/home/scott# mount | grep cdrom
/dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom0 type udf (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=scott)

Unmounting CD/DVD so it can be imaged (you can just eject it).

root@work:/home/scott# umount /media/cdrom0

Image it.

root@work:/home/scott# dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/home/scott/dvd00.iso
1227520+0 records in
1227520+0 records out
628490240 bytes (628 MB) copied, 77.6551 s, 8.1 MB/s
root@work:/home/scott# ls -lh /home/scott | grep .iso
-rw-r--r--   1 root  root  600M Sep 26 12:53 dvd00.iso

>     (2) a procedure for copying the images to a set of USB flash
>     sticks, so that the images can be read as if they were on DVD.

Just "copy" the .ISO files using a file manager or "cp".

Then, "mount" the images on the machine you want to use them:-

root@work:/home/scott# mount -o loop,ro /path_to/images/dvd00.iso
/media/cdrom0

Then run your program - it will now "see" a "mounted" CD/DVD where you
have neither a (hardware) CD/DVD device or a physical CD/DVD.

> RLH

I'd also suggest you take a look at BibleTime - which does what your
program does, and much, much more. Choose from many Bibles,
commentaries, guides, etc.

Cheers