On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 01:51:15PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 12 Oct 2011 at 08:10:09 -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>
> > (I assume this was meant to be "pam_loginuid.so")
>
> Yes.
>
> > I'm afraid I need Plan B. Making this change and rebooting had no effect
> > on USB-device mounting or on the restart/shutdown display.
>
> Create /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/consolekit.pkla with the
> contents:
>
> [restart]
> Identity=unix-user:*
> Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
> ResultAny=yes
>
> [stop]
> Identity=unix-user:brian

Took me a bit to figure out why "restart" worked by "shutdown" didn't,
until I realized that I'm not "brian"...

> Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
> ResultAny=yes
>
> In the same directory have udisks.pkla containing:
>
> [udisks]
> Identity=unix-user:*
> Action=org.freedesktop.udisks*
> ResultAny=yes

OK, this works. Whew. Thank you _very_ much indeed.

What is the overall view of this issue? Is this a bug? Is your solution
the right one? Should it be fed back to the XFCE team? From my
perspective, this should Just Work, and the user shouldn't be expected
to figure out a solution like this....

Really, thanks.