On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:32:16 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> I try to install Wheezy with latest install DVD snapshot (20111011) and
> when installer try to install grub it failed with "grub-pc package
> failed to install into /target/". I switch to terminal four and the log
> says:
>
> "Package grub-pc is not available, but is referred to by another
> package. ...
> Package grub-pc has no installation candidate ...
> grub-installer: info: Calling apt-install grub-pc failed"
>
> Any idea how to solve this problem? The system is a x86_64 system with 4
> gigs of memory.

It seems this is a recurrent issue.

Are you using the "expert" installer mode? If yes, retry the GRUB install
several times, I don't know why but the installer usually gets stuck in
this step and after some retries it -sometimes- finally can get installed.

If that also fails you can skip the step of the bootloader install
(always from an expert install), install as usual and then manually boot
the new system by means of a LiveCD → boot installed system. Once you're
in, you can install GRUB as usual.

Another option could be using a different installer image (wheezy with
sid's installer or a daily/monthly snapshot), but that will require an
additional download.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón