On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 01:52:14PM BST, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I don't understand why a few people have passed over ssh as being
> overkill.

SSH (Secure Shell) - you don't need security on home-only network.

> Its easiest of all to setup.  (well excepting the nautilus suggestion)

IMHO, it's not - dozens of options for both the server and client.
You simply mount the NFS share and it's transparent to the system.

> I mean with fuse and sshfs, then it acts much the same as nfs far as
> enduser experience.

FUSE as it name suggests is in user-space, NFS is supported in the
kernel. You don't have the overhead.

> nfs doesn't really apply to windows commonly, although there is an nfs
> program for windows.

We're talking about Debian and Ubuntu, not Windows - besides I already
mentioned the rationale behind NFS in regards to that.

> These days its not that hard to get sshd running on windows either.
> Windows 7 is bit more than it used to be, what with needing a new user
> and such.. but still once its setup... ssh is quite a nice solution.

SFTP on Windows on a home network is an overkill. If Windows was one of
the systems I would've suggested Samba as CIFS is supported in Windows
without any additional software required.

> In fact with the choices mentioned so far (again excepting nautilus)
> sshd is the most versatile.

It isn't IMHO - see above.

Regards,
--