> From: jsp...@sun.ac.za
[..]
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: self signed certificate
> fetchmail: This means that the root signing certificate (issued for
> /C=US/ST=Someprovince/L=Sometown/O=none/OU=none/CN=localhost/emailAddress=webaster@localhost)
>  is not in the trusted CA certificate locations, or that c_rehash needs to be
> run on the certificate directory. For details, please see the documentation
> of --sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page.
> fetchmail: Warning: the connection is insecure, continuing
> anyways. (Better use --sslcertck!)
[..]

> fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost != alterit.co.za
This might still cause a problem when you get the certificate working.

> The service provider sent me a certificiate which I did put in the path
> referred to in the configuration but it did not solve the problem.

/etc/ssl/certs is a managed location (yes, I know, not strictly FHS compliant).

You need to put the certificate in /usr/local/share/ca-certificates (from
memory, please double-check with the ca-certificates documentation) and re-run
update-ca-certificates.

Regards,
Arno