On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:43:23 +0300, Volkan YAZICI wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 15:01:12 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón writes:
>> I'm running a Debian stock kernel (3.0.0-1) and neither have that entry
>> under "/proc/acpi" but can control the brigthness of my netbook either
>> from GNOME or using the hotkeys.
>>
>> Maybe this Ubuntu debug guide for backlight can give you any hints:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/Backlight
>>
>> Specifically this statement:
>>
>> ***
>> The /proc/acpi/video interface
>>
>> Warning /!\ This actually is deprecated and would also only be working
>> if the ACPI backlight driver is active. It will be described only for
>> completeness. The ACPI backlight driver also exposes itself through the
>> new sysfs interface.
>> ***
>
> Hrm... Nice article. Here are my evaluations:

(...)

What's the output of "ls -l /sys/class/backlight"?

If I follow the instructions of the section named "The /sys/class/
backlight interface" I can indeed see and set the backlight values as
stated. For instance, to put the backlight at its maximum value, as root
I can run:

echo 10 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

Greetings,

--
Camaleón