> $ apt-get -s install kmix | grep kmix
> gives you:-
> kmix is already the newest version.
> kmix set to manually installed.

 sudo apt-get -s install kmix |grep kmix
kmix is already the newest version.

> Then try:-
> (and look for error message, and appearance of icon)
> $ kmix --keepvisibility

Still nothing on running that command.  Where would error messages
appear?

Further though, since I can control all I need with
alsamixer... probably no further need to pursue this.

As you know many things have not worked as expected on my kde
install... no doubt due to serious pilot bungling early on and
throughout.

I'm not really attached to running kde for desktop but  it seems
workable for now.  Oddnesses I've seen have not been major enough to
warrant further investigation.

Thanks for your input... as always ... very helpful.