On Oct 31, 12:40 am, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:24:28 -0400 (EDT), poenik...@operamail.com wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the source for kernel version 3.0.4 fromwww.kernel.org.
> > I then ploughed through all the options, removing modules where I was
> > sure I did not have
> > the relevant hardware.
> > I closed down squeeze, rebooted and chose the new 3.0.4 kernel. It
> > displayed an
> > error message (kernel panic) to the effect that it could not load the
> > root fs.
>
> > What have I done wrong?
>
> I would recommend using something like "make localmodconfig" to strip
> out drivers your hardware doesn't need.  There are many hidden
> dependencies, such as SCSI support, that are not obvious.
> Also, I recommend that you read
>
>    http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>
> for a fairly comprehensive tutorial on kernel building in Debian which
> documents many common "gotchas" in kernel building.  For example, there
> is a patch to kernel-package which is needed in some circumstances
> when building a version 3 kernel with make-kpkg.  The patch is documented
> on the above web page.  And, depending on which boot loader you use,
> you may need to install some hook scripts when using a custom kernel
> with Squeeze and later releases.  This is also documented on the
> above web page.
>
> --
>   .''`.     Stephen Powell
>  : :'  :
>  `. `'`
I followed the instructions given in Kernel.htm and built a kernel
from the source tree I had
downloaded from www.kernel.org after issuing make-kpkg debian. I also
patched kernel-package
using the patch file (linuxv3.diff) mentioned on the web page.

I also used make localmodconfig to greatly reduce the number of
modules actually compiled.
Compiling the kernel took 34 mins on my 1.6GHz laptop.

I installed the kernel using dpkg as root, checked that an initramfs
image had been created, closed down
and rebooted.

The kernel loaded, entered runlevel 2, but commands that tried to
write to the fs failed because it was
still readonly. The kernel finally hung with nfsd. ctrl-alt-del
successfully rebooted. I shall recompile
the kernel without NFS support because I don't need it.