Calamine wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:46:55 +0000, Bob Brewer wrote:
>
>> Calamine wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, and that sounds even weirder, I mean, that can be launched on a
>>> running system but fails when loading. I've also found another bug
>>> report (which is older than the one you pointed before) that
>>> basically comes to say the same as you:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=564149
>>>
>>> And I'm afraid I'm now out of ideas. Let's see if someone else can
>>> give you additional advice on how to debug this problem :-)
>>
>> Unfortunately my logs don't go back far enough to see what was
>> changed when the problem first started. This PC is nearly 10 years
>> old and its con fig hasn't been changed since the problem first
>> started, so I think I should be able to rule out a hardware related
>> issue.
>
> The above bug (564149) and the brief note in the bootlog script
> itself (advising that sometimes does not work) makes me wonder if this
> can be a commom problem affecting other users :-?

I think you are right. After I posted earlier I found a recent update to
this bug (#423528) dated 11 August and included a patch to remove the
'-c'option, and the latest update (dated 9 October) to #545181 will
split bootlog  out of the sysvinit-utils package altogether. I can't see
anything in the repositories to reflect this yet though.

> True is that it has always worked for me and I have Debian installed
> in servers, workstations, desktops and netbook systems with a mix of
> Lennys (GRUB legacy) and Wheezys (GRUB 2) and under different
> filesystems (ReiserFS and Ext4).
>
> The only common characteristic they all share is that there are no
> "/var" partitions.

Its' always worked for me in the past when I have been running sid on
this box and is working fine on my Lenny server where /var is also on a
separate partition as well (and also booting with lilo).

>> I have now had a look at /etc/rc2.d and see that bootlog isn't
>> started by sysvinit-utils and only 'S20stop-bootlog' is linked which
>> stops bootlog at boot completion.
>
> Yes, I also noticed that.
>
> This bootlog facility is something new to me since I started using it
> in Debian, but I don't remember a similar tool in openSUSE (maybe is I
> just overlooked it). In openSUSE the booting sequence was also logged
> under "/ var/log/boot.msg" but it is enabled by default and both
> (kernel and booting services messages) fall here, in the same file.

I first started running Woody Debian and Red Hat before that and can
only remember logging to /var/log/boot. I don't remember problems before
now though.

>> If I add a link to bootlog with 'S07bootlogd' it mysteriously gets
>> changed to 'S04bootlogd' after startup and I then see the 'Starting
>> Bootlogd - Bootlog failed' error messages in the console at startup.
>
> You only have to care that "bootlog" is started after
> "mountdevsubfs".
>
> What's the output of "ls -l /etc/rcS.d"?

I was looking at runlevel 2 (rc2.d) and can see now see a link in rcS.d
to bootlog at the beginning and to stop-bootlog-single at the end so I
expect this is how the bootlogger is started. Comparing that to my Lenny
box it is very similar.

>> My guess is that a process other than sysvinit is supposed to start
>> the bootlogger. I still use lilo as a boot loader and I presume that
>> your Wheezy starts with grub, so I wonder if this a lilo/grub issue?
>
> I think the bootloader has nothing to do here because the bootloader
> is only in charge of passing the required parameters to the system.
> And the fact that "bootlog" wants to start but then fails makes me
> think the init script is being executed but aborts.

 On reflection that seems to be correct. I'll try removing the '-c'
option and see if that helps otherwise I'll wait a week or so to see if
there are any updated packages in line with the bug reports above and
try those.

Thank you for help, it's much appreciated

Bob