Sian Mountbatten <poenik...@operamail.com> writes:

> I have been trying to get an email client which would access my
> web mail. I've tried
>   kmail -- which simply does not retrieve the mail
>   balsa -- which asks for an SMTP address (I don't have SMTP)
> and I am now using emacs23.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to configure RMAIL so that it accesses
> my mail server.

You can get that on the gnu.emacs.help newsgroup. (on gmane:
gmane.emacs.help) But rmail is not in use so much anymore.... You
should investigate the mail/news reader bundled with emacs23 called
`gnus'.  It is under lively development currently.  But a newer
version is available with emacs24.

gnus is a very capable reader and handles gmail well thru imap.
You can get lots of expert help at `gnu.emacs.gnus' newsgroup. Or on
gmane: gmane.emacs.gnus.users

You didn't mention what web style account you have.

You might get better advice if you were post more information
concerning what exactly you want to do.

For information on gnus.

If you have texinfo installed you should be able to read all about it
by doing this in emacs:

C-h i <ENTER> (brings up info manuals)

m  <ENTER>  emacs <ENTER>
g <ENTER> gnus <ENTER>

Or if that seems inadequate or you do not like reading texinfo (info)
manuals, you can access the gnus manual online at:

  http://www.gnus.org/manual.html

Far as which format to use there... you might like

`monolithic HTML'   Which displays the manual in one very long page.
That makes page searching very easy and you can search the entire
manual with your browsers (C-f on most browsers) page search
functions.