On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 20:04 -0500, John S. wrote:
> I use Xfce on wheezy and and happy but I was interested enough to
> install gnome 3 on a spare drive. Everything went fine except that I
> was forced into using the fall back version as the installer couldn't
> find a suitable graphics (3D) driver.
>
> The on-board  graphics chip is nVidia. I have never had the need for
> fancy graphics ability, gaming etc. but I have some concern if non-free
> firmware is a requirement for running Gnome3.
>

> John.

As I mentioned before, using the audio realtime patch for the kernel,
you aren't allowed to use the proprietary driver, regarding to a GNU
issue caused by 3 system calls. You need to patch the kernel with
illegal code that fakes the correct licence.

If the nouveau driver should support 3D acceleration this wouldn't help,
since this driver is a PITA for audio production. I'll be able to use
the nv driver without 3D acceleration if needed.

- Ralf