On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 01:34:15 +0100, Arno Schuring wrote:

> Camaleón (noela...@gmail.com on 2011-11-13 17:59 +0000):
>>
>> > and how many people are whining because GNOME 2 is gone?
>>
>> We all miss the good job that GNOME2 did. IMO, there is nothing wrong
>> about users whining or complaining because of the change, that's a
>> normal reaction that express the love we had for GNOME2 and loving
>> GNOME2 is nothing bad.
>
> Now that's a spin that I like :)
>
> However, you can argue whether effectively discontinuing the most-used
> DE on Linux is a wise move. I can understand some of the reasoning
> behind it, but in my mind, abandoning your old product in favor of some
> fad of the day feels like a forced upgrade. And most users use Linux
> because they got fed up with the forced upgrade treadmill of certain
> proprietary software manufacturers...

*It is* a forced upgrade. But please, and be sincere, aren't these
(forced upgrades) hapening with any other piece of FLOSS software?

This is a small list of changes that *we were forced to* that I recall
from not so long ago:

- Dynamic xorg
- udev/policykit instead hal
- libata hard disk renaming (hd*/sd*)
- kernel device changes (/dev/sdx to UUID/ID...)
- now is coming systemd/startup instead sys-v init
- grub2
- kde4

Are those changes bad? No, of course. Was the upgrading path of the above
smooth? Well, not always, Xorg has been given headaches to many people,
and what about udev? I'm still unsure what's the best way to deal with
it. And prepare for the replacement of the old sysinit... :-)

What happens with community based FLOSS code is that changes happen very
quickly and there is little time to people get used to them but at the
price of introducing new things that do not always work as expected and
break another things.

Such is live and such is FLOSS and that's something we have to assume and
deal with... or we can always go for a RedHat or SUSE SLED/SLES license
(or their counterparts distributions like CentOS/Scientific Linux) that
tend to be more conservative with their desktop options.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón