I decided to try out backuppc and set it up for a trial... decided it
way more complicated and overdone for my needs and uninstalled it.

Only it didn't really get uninstalled.  I don't remember now all the
steps I took but do recall it involved reinstalling it at some point
to try to get it cleanly uninstalled.

At this point, some aspect of that mess is blocking updates. I just
tried to run updates from the gui update manager and get this fatal
error:

  dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
   syntax error: unknown user 'backuppc' in statoverride file
  Error in function:

At this point I can neither install nor uninstall backuppc to get that
further cleaned up... `aptitude search backuppc' reveals

  Cd  backuppc   - high-performance, enterprise-grade system
  `C' half configured
  `d' delete remove

How can I get fully rid of any trace of that obnoxious program?

The --purge switch  ends in failure messages:

aptitude remove --purge backuppc

  (Reading database ... 233038 files and directories currently installed.)
  Removing backuppc ...
  Stopping backuppc...start-stop-daemon: user 'backuppc' not found
  invoke-rc.d: initscript backuppc, action "stop" failed.
  dpkg: error processing backuppc (--remove):
   subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
  configured to not write apport reports

  Starting backuppc...grep: /etc/backuppc/config.pl: No such file or directory
  BackupPC cannot be started because important parameters are missing from
config.pl.
  If you just upgraded BackupPC, please update /etc/backuppc/config.pl.
  invoke-rc.d: initscript backuppc, action "start" failed.
  dpkg: error while cleaning up:
   backuppc
  A package failed to install.  Trying to recover: