I tried something close to it and I couldn't make it work.   I would get a
Xerox machine.   That I think would work well with Debian.

I did make a Brother scanner work for a while with Debian and then couldn't
repeat the trick after I upgraded to Squeeze and now I cheat and use
Windows 7 to drive an HP G2410 scanner and Debian for everything else.

Michael Fothergill