Hallo Ramon,

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:49:42 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

>Therefore I uncommented the spindown_time line and set the value to
>241 which should spin down all the drives after 30 minutes.

>To speed up testing I have set spindown_tim = 1 but the drives still
>stays active...

>Can I check the access to the discs from a log?
>Or maybe I should create a sudo hdparm -C /dev/sd? log which checks >the drive states every 15 minutes or so?

Maybe it's just the hddtemp daemon with the temperature polls keeping your data drive(s) awake? To find out more exactly I suggest you monitor r/w access in syslog:

#this will put a comment about read/write access into your syslog:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump

#live monitoring syslog:
tail -f /var/log/syslog

#switch off syslog r/w comments:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump

Hopefully this will give you the necessary hints

Cheers!