On 11/26/11 14:15, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:29:58 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:
Finally, I did 'apt-get dist-upgrade', which kept me up way too late.  I
got lots of warnings about lines in /var/lib/dpkg/status having an
invalid character in it.  These all seem to have been referring to the line

     'Config-Version: 3.1.4_57640_Debian_lenny'
             or
         'Version: 3.1.4_57640_Debian_lenny'

I grepped /var/lib/dpkg/status and found quite a few lines referring to
lenny.  Shouldn't these all have been changed since I did an update on
Squueze repositories?  Could these be referring to packages that are no
longer in Squeesze and so still have lenny info?

Hmm.  Never seen any errors like that before.  I changed "lenny" to
"squeeze" in /etc/apt/sources.list, re-ran "aptitude update" (or
"apt-get update") and never had any problems.  Re-examine your
/etc/apt/sources.list file to make sure you didn't miss anything.

I'm not certain, but I THINK that these lines are all referring to packages that were removed by the update, but whose config files were not purged. There are 47 such files according to 'dpkg -l | grep ^rc' and I recall apt-get saying that there were 43 packages to be removed at one point (several others were removed separately) so that sounds about right. Is there a way to purge those config files without messing up anything else and without having to do each one individually?

Marc