On Nov 28, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Piotr Wydymus wrote:

> At first, hello everyone - I subscribed yesterday.

Hi, Piotr, and welcome.

> Sorry, but manpages are long, complicated and discouraging for newbies.

No, manpages aren't for newbies. But they aren't for oldbies either -- they're
intended as reminders for when you already know what a command is for, but
can't quite remember the correct syntax. They're great for that, but can be
less than optimal for learning.

> It's definitely better to recommend some simple web guide first. What
> develops curiosity in linux word is success IMO.

I've learned a lot from Martin Krafft's book, "The Debian System." It's not a
website, and it's a little long in the tooth, but it has a lot of good info on
the apt/dpkg/.deb collection (among other things). Apt doesn't seem to have
changed significantly since the book was written.

--
Glenn English