On 24/12/11 17:34, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
On 2011-12-24 17:06:38 +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
Yep, that's PERL for you. Having taken over the maintenance of a large
PERL project, I've come to the conclusion that it's IMHO the worst
programming language ever invented. Totally non-intuitive.

I completely disagree. It's a very powerful language, allowing you
to express things in very concise ways. In every language, you may
find unintuitive things (though that may be a bit subjective). For
instance, in C, a subtraction on integers may not give the same
result as the mathematical one (even when there is no overflow).
In python, you have this silly indentation rules. And so on.

You're at perfect liberty to disagree :).

No doubt it's powerful, and you can do powerful things. The problem is that the syntax is so ideosyncratic, that I'm so relieved to get someting finally to do what I need, that I can't be bothered expressing it in a very concise way.

I believe the problems Lina experienced are typical, and the over-use of certain symbols, in particular {}, causes that. Sublimal context-switching gives further problems.

The TMTOWTDI only gets in the way. Who, other than PERL authors could think up such an acronym? Do it one way, and do it intuitively, would be a better slogan.

The "Camel Book" seriously pisses me off, with its silly little asides, which add nothing to the material.

Give me C, or C++, with its minor ideosyncracies any day. Compiling is a pain, but it roots out syntax errors before getting anywhere near to running anything.

For scripting, PHP.

I agree that pyhon's odd, but for PERL, Let's agree to differ, eh? ;)

Cheers, Tony
--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:t...@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |