On 17/01/12 02:22, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Can you disrupt something if it is out of the ordinary while the system
> boots up?

Yes.
SysRq[*1]

> If not, you may as well wait until after login to find out
> what happened.  The only possible case I can conceive of where what you
> want to do makes any sense is if a change was done to the system; the
> system is being rebooted, and there is a high probability you will never
> make it to login without disrupting the boot process to change
> something.

I suspect you speak for many users Jude, for which reason I put a boot
splash up for them.

Some of prefer to know what's happening as it happens though. That's why
plymouth, and the quiet parameter are options.

And that's the beauty of Debian. We have choices instead of having our
options limited due to a narrow definitions of "needs" being foisted on us.

Instead of having a choice between a blackbox recorder *or* a windscreen
- we can have both. This allows people to know about minor problems or
warnings before they become show stoppers, without having to parse dmesg
(or /var/log/dmesg.0).

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> On 16/01/2012, Jude DaShiell <jdash...@shellworld.net> wrote:
>>> No point in doing that at all.

<snipped>
[*1] If you have linux-source installed:-
$ mlocate sysrq.txt

Cheers