On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:50:25 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Vi, 27 ian 12, 15:21:47, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have some problems with the ir-remote of my htpc. That's why I want
>> to install a newer kernel.
>>
>> Can I install the linux-image-amd64 package from squeeze-backports
>> kernel without changing nvidia-glx (version 195.36.31-6)?
>>
>> Or will I have to compile the nvidia driver?
>
> 2.6.29 would work only with nvidia-glx from backports, didn't get the
> chance to try 3.2 yet.

The linux-image-amd64 package from squeeze backports installs linux-
image-3.1.0-0.bpo.1-amd64.
Is 2.6.29 the better choice than 3.1?

I've never used backports before...
How do I have to install the nvidia-glx package from backports properly?
The instruction page [1] tells me to use apt-get -t squeeze-backports
install "package" and not use pinning. Actually I don't know much about
pinning too. On the AptPreferences debian wiki page [2] they say:
"Before you consider 'pinning', you might want to check if the package
you want has been backported to your release". So I suppose I don't have
to use pinning at all?

But when I try to install the nvidia-glx package from the backports repos
I get this:
http://pastebin.com/dbiAbndp

apt-get -t squeeze-backports install nvidia-glx tells me:
nvidia-glx is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 42 not upgraded.

But dist-upgrade won't do anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards
Ramon