On 20120129_122817, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2012-01-29 11:51 +0100, Colin wrote:
>
> > After reading the security support on testing[1], I was thinking if I
> > would use wheezy at the moment on my sources.list instead of testing,
> > then I would all have the "updates" from testing plus the security
> > ones?
>
> No.  Also, wheezy and testing are currently _identical_.
>
> > Or should I just use 'deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates
> > main contrib non-free' ?
>
> This depends on what you intend to do when wheezy becomes stable.  Do
> you want to continue to use testing forever, or do you want to have a
> system that remains basically unchanged for a long time?  If the latter,
> use "wheezy" instead of "testing".
>
> Sven

OP wouldn't have asked the question unless he were somewhat worried
that each choice had consequences, which, for him, were unknown and
therefore unintended. Because he has asked the question, I think OP
is, like me, a person who wants a system that basically works, but
does get new software as it is reasonably available. For me, and him,
I am fearful of what happens to testing immediately after a release.

Immediately after an official release, all the packages that were held
back by the pre-release freeze will flood into 'testing,' but not into
'wheezy.' For a short while 'testing' will become rather unstable,
like 'sid.' If one is fearful of that prospect, use "wheezy' and
switch to 'testing' later, at a time of ones own choosing, after the
new testing has stabilized somewhat and when one has time to deal with
testing's little annoyances (as opposed to its rare spasms of big
annoyance). By the time that the successor to wheezy has reached this
stage, its name will probably have been announced, so, if one likes
this plan, one might as well switch to that next name.

So one can be running testing, *almost* always, but never using the
word, testing, and never being subject to the post release spasm.

There are, I suppose, other Debian users who run testing and wait
impatiently for the short episodes of excitement that I call spasms.
I respect them, but I am not one of them.

--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net