>   # /usr/sbin/update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r) -u
>
> It is also possible that a broken initrd is not the problem and that
> the problem is elsewhere on your system
>
> > This is what I did:
>
> Thank you for the very nice and complete description of what you did!
> That was very good.
>
> > I booted up my computer using a debian live cd and ran the following
> > commands:
> >   mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/
> >   mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
>
> Good.
>
> >   mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
> >   mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
> >   mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
>
> I prefer to bind mount all of them instead of creating a second
> /proc.  But okay either way.  But I think this is a little cleaner.  I
> don't think /sys is needed in the chroot for this operation.  At least
> I never mount it and it all seems okay.
>
>   mount -t bind /proc /mnt/proc
>
> > after which I typed
> >   chroot /mnt /bin/bash
>
> And since that worked and gave you a prompt we know most of your
> system there must be okay.
>
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Look in /usr/sbin just to make sure there are files there.  If you
> have /usr on a separate filesystem then you would need to mount it too
> along with the others when you mounted it above.  If it were missing
> it would also cause the same error.
>
> PATH may not be set nicely and may not include /usr/sbin:/sbin in the
> chroot.  Fix that with:
>
>   PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>   export PATH
>
> As an alternative to calling update-initramfs I usually call
>
>   dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)
>
> That basically does the same thing.  It calls the Debian package
> manager to run the kernel postinst script which calls update-initramfs
> and so has the same result.  But it also has the opportunity to do
> other things in the postinst script too.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob for your help.

Yes, I have /usr and /var on separate partitions and both were required to be
mounted before the command worked. I tried your alternative solution as well
but none fixed my problem. I am convinced that my problem is not a corrupt
initrd. I am at a loss as to what to do next to get my computer to boot up. Any
leads?

Ogya