The option to print to a .ps file is not there.  It's there in Firefox and
gnome programs like gedit, but not in chrome.

The observation that the same print dialog box appears for printing in
other programs than just chrome leads me to believe that the issue is
a gnome-print issue or configuration,  but that still leaves the problem of
finding the config information.

Does chromium allow about:config ?