Help! I had a working install of Woody on my P4.

Then (probably showing my ignorance) I tried to install a recent version of Abiword by adding a line specifying /unstable/main to my /etc/apt/sources.list, and (from a characer mode screen) doing an

apt-get install abiword.

This resulted in the upgrading of many packges, and a pile of cryptic errors. In an attempt to fix these I did an

apt-get -f install

which produced many illegal instruction messages. I did what I thought was a clean shutdown. The next time I rebooted, hda3 (my root filesystem) failed its boot-time check and was fixed up.

Giving up, I restored /etc/apt/sources.list to its original contents (which specifies only stable versions). Then I did an

apt-get upgrade

This got me back more or less to where I started, I think, but now when the system boots, xdm will not run.

Also, the "sleep" command produces an "illegal instruction" message. It is used in various scripts, and so on boot up, tty1 is flooded with these illegal instructions messages so that I can't log in there. I can do an Alt <F2>, log in, and everything looks normal except that xdm won't run.

Now, I could just go back and reload Woody from scratch (if I were having trouble with Windows, that's what the tech support would undoubtedly recommend!) Is there a better way?

Also, was it wrong to add the unstable/main line to sources.list? The man page for apt-get seems to show that you can request a package from a different release (e.g. unstable) - is this just a theoretical possibility or does it really work?

Thanks for any comments!

Jack Dodds