> not a necessity, though it is desiable :).  A custom kernel that
> doesn't work is obviously going to be a problem, but if it works well
> enough then it would be fine for me.  But I guess it does make a

The problem is: what will you do with your machine three year down
the road?  Will you have to keep looking for some guy who keeps a custom
kernel up-to-date, or will you have to rely on an old version of the
kernel, and hence suffer from various "minor" problems as the user-space
code starts to rely on new features your kernel does not provide?

If your machine is supported by the stock kernel, all these problems are
pretty much absent: you can expect to simply "aptitude upgrade" for the
next ten years.

        Stefan